Monday, June 27, 2016

Synod Delegates Talk About Their Mission Experiences

"I was hungry and you gave me food, 
I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, 
I was a stranger and you welcomed me, 
 I was naked and you gave me clothing,
 I was sick and you took care of me, 
I was in prison and you visited me." ~ Jesus

The 2016 Synod of the Eastern District was anything but a sit-still-and-listen sort of event. With its focus grounded firmly in Jesus' words from Matthew 25, The Synod sent all of its delegates into the world for a full day of serving those who are hungry, thirsty, strangers, lacking in basic necessities, sick and incarcerated. In so many cases, the experiences were moving and transforming. Here are just a couple of clips of Ohio Moravians telling about what happened last Thursday. Jill Westbrook (Sharon) talks about her time helping residents of a no-frills nursing home "go shopping" for the things that make their lives a little bit more comfortable.Sue Henriksen (Dover) discusses the day she spend serving in a soup kitchen. And Seth Angel (Fry's Valley) talks about touring a prison facility and spending time with some of the incarcerated men.

If you attend Brown Bags & Big Ideas today (noon-1:30 p.m. at Tuscora Park), I suspect you'll have a chance to debrief these and other memorable Synod experiences.












No comments:

Post a Comment